Elder Justice

What is the Crime Victim's Legal Assistance Project - Elder Justice Initiative?

Our CVLAP - Elder Justice Initiative provides free civil legal assistance to vulnerable adults and adults ages 60+ in Michigan who have experienced or are at risk of abuse, neglect, or exploitation. This can include anything from violence to financial scams. You do not have to report a crime or contact law enforcement to receive our help. Our goal is to ensure safety, protect assets and preserve older adults' quality of life, rights, and dignity. We have many legal tools and resources to help individuals who have experienced abuse, neglect, and financial exploitation.

What type of civil (i.e. non-criminal) legal assistance do we provide?

Our attorneys provide free legal help, ranging from providing advice to full representation in Court, for a wide array of civil issues, including the following:

  • Family Law (examples: divorce, personal protection orders, spousal support/alimony, separate maintenance, etc)
  • Housing Law (examples: eviction, landlord repairs, foreclosure (tax or mortgage), mobile home issues, etc)
  • Consumer Law (examples: recoup money/property wrongfully taken, dealing with unauthorized account charges, financial scams, etc)
  • Individual Rights (examples: modify/end a guardianship, remove/change a named power of attorney, stop caregiver abuse/neglect, etc)
  • Public Benefits (examples: food stamps, Social Security, Medicaid/Medicare, etc)

Who is eligible for free legal assistance?

If you answer "yes" to any of these questions, please contact us for legal help:

  • Has a caregiver or someone close to you hurt you?
  • Has a caregiver or someone close to you restricted your contact with others or stopped you from getting help?
  • Has anyone taken physical or financial advantage of you?
  • Has anyone threatened or intimidated you?
  • Do you have questions about how to identify and stop abuse (physical, sexual, emotional, financial) and/or neglect?


We serve clients regardless of:

  • The language(s) you speak
  • Your immigration status (we help people with and without papers)
  • Your sex, sexual orientation or gender identity
  • Your criminal history
  • Your income
  • Your age
  • Your race, color, national origin, or ethnicity
  • Your religion
  • Whether you have a disability
  • Your marital status
  • Whether you have reported the abuse to police or others.

How do I apply for free legal assistance?

If you, or someone who know, would like our services please contact us to request assistance.

What should I do if there is an emergency?

If you are concerned about your safety or about the safety of someone you know, please contact 911 or Adult Protective Services: (855) 444-3911 (toll free)